Saturday, October 18, 2008

Get your pasta here!


Since September of the year 1990 my family has owned a restaurant called Via Oreto. It is located on the Upper East Side in Manhattan, New York. It was and will always be my home away from home. I still remember from a little girl when I would come home from school and my mom would bring me to the restaurant and my grandmother would always let me help her make the meatballs. I would run from the front to the back asking customers if they enjoyed their spaghetti and meatballs because I helped make them. Even at a young age, I would sit down and strike up a conversation with people I didn’t know.

Growing up in that environment has shaped me into the person I am today. I developed strong communication skills. I can easily sit down and talk to someone about absolutely anything. Even though I am not there as I often like, I still remember where everything is and the smell of the delicious food as it is being served. When people go to college they always worry about how to learn how to cook and actually enjoyed what they cooked. I already am ten steps ahead of them. When all of my friends come to my apartment they always ask me, “Amanda cook us up something to eat.” I almost feel as if I am the mother to all of my friends.

No comments: