Saturday, October 18, 2008

Adusting to Staten Island.....


Going from the city that never sleeps where I was constantly hearing horns honking and the clicking of woman’s shoes I somehow ended up on Staten Island. I laugh when people say that Staten Island is “so convenient;” where walking on this island doesn’t exist. You need to have a car, just to go get a gallon of milk. However, where I come from, whenever my mother and I needed milk for our tea, you could run down the steps, out the door, make a right, and a deli is right there. From always having things to do for entertainment such as going to Times Square or hanging out with my friends in the Village, there was always something to do. Now a days, the only time when people actually go out around here is on a Friday or Saturday night. During the week, people usually just sit inside, watch television, go on Facebook, talk on the phone, and I guess do homework. I can’t complain in the sense that I have met a lot of people along the way who have made me feel welcome here. I used to be sick of living in the “Big City,” but there are some days where I wish I was home.
In the city there are people from all types of cultures, religions, and nationalities. However, when you come to Staten Island, everyone thinks that they are Italian. I had to get used to this because my family and I were the only Italians living in my apartment building. But honestly, I kind of enjoy looking at the boys with the spiked hair 4 feet tall, pounds of gel, and pumping their fists to music, I feel as if my culture is revived. I guess I can get used to living on this Island.

No comments: